She sells sea shells by the sea shore . . . .
Coastal cool isn’t just for beach cottages anymore. Even if you’re landlocked, introducing a nautical theme can bring a little summer fun into any space. What I love most about nautical décor is the balance of structured, streamlined design and effortless shabby-chic. It totally brings back memories of perfectly pressed towels and carefree beach getaways.
Earn your stripesWhat’s the easiest way to add a nautical charm to a room? STRIPES! Think striped throw pillows to help tie together furniture in a seating area. While navy and white stripes are classically coastal and reminiscent of summer, a softer, creamier tone of white makes a subtler statement and still does a great job of making your accent colour pop. Try sun-washed white in combination with cheery coral, sky blue, tangerine orange, buttercup yellow or Kelly green. I love how Martha Stewart (Queen of Nantucket decor, herself!) mixes stripes and solids in her sitting area design (above).
Anchors awayHardware plays a big role with anything nautical. With space at a premium on ships, hardware was designed to be practical and functional. Whether it’s for your own galley-style kitchenette or family kitchen, a faucet with a rubbed brass finish expertly balances the softer colours and textures. Brizo’s Baliza faucet incorporates nautical styling without an overly-industrial look. The bud vase adds a touch of whimsy.
Texture in hidden treasuresAnother way to incorporate this seaside theme into your space is to showcase natural textures in accent pieces. I especially love the laidback look of accessories that look like they just washed up onto shore. If only all décor was that easy! A pearlescent shell-inspired lamp fits into the theme without being overly kitschy, and provides a soft glow. Mismatched silver spoons, colourful glassware and vintage lifesavers are charming finishing touches.
1. Brizo Baliza kitchen faucet: http://www.brizo.com/kitchen/collection/baliza.html
2. You Are My Anchor poster: http://www.polyvore.com/you_are_my_anchor_poster/thing?id=56912994
3. Coral: http://www.thisnext.com/item/9B84F6BA/Cast-Open-Coral
4. Summer decorating ideas: http://www.marthastewart.com/274784/60-summer-decorating-ideas/@center/276964/60-days-summer#/354735
Beach glass bottles: http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/beach-glass-bottles
6. Nautical spoon set: http://www.etsy.com/listing/97044923/nautical-spoon-set-high-tide-low-tide
7. Mosaic shell glass pendant light: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D54618/186-8609739-2085463?ie=UTF8&ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_jAgNpb0NAXKNN
Thanks for sharing Farah, appreciate the fresh take on the Seaside decor!
Until next time,
w&c designer girl!